Friday, March 4, 2011

Super Kids

I often talk about how parents have super powers (we do), but as Nate and I continue navigating through this whole process of raising Ryan and Lindsey, I'm realizing they, too, have some pretty awesome powers as well.

They have the power to change who we are, how we act. I'm more patient, I never rarely curse, but not as often and I've become acutely aware that my behavior, reactions and mannerisms are constantly being watched by two sets of little eyes and meticulously scrutinized by the brains behind them. As such, I make sure to use my manners more consistently, to not be so harsh with Bailey when he destroys a toy left out on the floor, to do the things I expect (or will expect) of my kids so they can learn by example and respect the rules we set for them.

They have the power to make you humble. I love to sing and I've been told kids instinctively love the sound of their parents voice. I guess whoever said that had a good voice. I'm not terrible, but sometimes when I start to sing to Ryan he'll yell, "stop, stop, stop, mommy!" Point taken.

They have the power to calm. I can't tell you how many times I've had a bad day. And not just a bad day, but a bad day. Yet, no matter how stressed, emotionally drained or physically exhausted I am, seeing Ryan or Lindsey smile or hearing them giggle has the same calming effect as candles and a bubble bath.

They have the power to melt your heart. And it's always the little things. When I go to pick up Lindsey from daycare and she throws down everything down, runs over to me, arms in the air, grin on her face - my heart melts like butter. Or when Ryan randomly stops what he's doing to say, "Hey mom! I love you."

Eventually, I'm aware, their powers may be used for evil (the power to manipulate, lie, coerce, etc.), but for now - my little caped crusaders are fighting the good fight and I'm glad they're on my side.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Kel, I love you too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Anonymous. You read my blog, so I love you too!

    ReplyDelete